Inflammation and back discomfort in the lower back have become prevalent spine issues in recent years. Back discomfort really affects nearly four out of every five people and can afflict persons of any age. Spine issues may persist for a few days, a few weeks, or even months. However, some spinal issues may cause enough acute pain and inflammation to necessitate spine surgery. In addition to the usual causes of back pain, like falls, obesity, carrying heavy objects, and prolonged bending, there are several significant conditions that can also cause pain and suffering. These include disc herniation, aberrant spine curvature, fractures, stenosis, disc bulge, and nerve-related issues. For any of these aforementioned issues, a doctor may advise spine surgery in India. However, a few diagnostic procedures, including an MRI scan, a CT scan, an X-ray, and a few blood tests, may be used to determine the condition’s severity initially.
Some of India’s top hospitals for spine surgery
The best spine hospitals in India provide both surgical and non-surgical alternatives for treating degenerative spine-related issues such lumbar stenosis, cervical or lumbar disc herniation, and spine deformity.
The following are a few of the top spine surgery hospitals in India:
- Chennai’s Global Health City
- Yeshwantpur Columbia Asia
- Gurgaon’s Artemis Hospital
- Super Speciality Hospital in Nanavati
- Aster MedCity
- The medical city Medanta
- Institute for Fortis Memorial Research
All of the aforementioned facilities employ cutting-edge technology to effectively treat patients with spine-related issues at reasonable prices. Top neurosurgeons in India employ a variety of technology, including:
- Using neuroradiology methods : The best spine surgery institutions in India utilise cutting-edge diagnostic techniques to identify any spine issues. These cutting-edge technologies include cerebral angiography, 64 Slice CT, 3T MRI, and digital radiography.
- A minimally invasive spine operation: Indian neurosurgeons have all the knowledge and tools necessary to do minimally invasive spine surgery. The advantages of this form of surgery over standard surgery include a shorter hospital stay and recuperation time, smaller incisions, less discomfort, and less anaesthesia.
- Neuro-navigation: Doctors can learn more about potential surgical options and the source of the spine abnormalities by using CT and MRI scans. However, using neuro-navigation has the extra benefit of giving surgeons access to real-time data while they are performing surgery. In India, a few of the top facilities for spine surgery employ this cutting-edge technology.
In India, spine surgery is performed by a group of highly skilled medical professionals from several disciplines, not only the Neuro department. This group of experts, nurses, and other paramedical personnel report directly to the head neurosurgeon. As a result, every member of the team is constantly ready for any emergency that can arise throughout the procedure.
The majority of hospitals in India also include a specialised neurosurgery ICU and a Neuro rehabilitation section to aid patients in recovering more quickly after surgery in addition to the technologies mentioned above. Leading hospitals in India provide a variety of spine procedures, including:
- Spinal tumour removal
- Scoliosis surgery
- Having spinal bifida surgery
- Decompression of the spine
- Vertebral fusion
- Replacement of all discs
- Lumbar or spinal laminectomy
- Surgery on the cervical spine
- A minimally invasive spine operation
USUAL COST OF SPINE SURGERY IN INDIA
India has been one of the top choices for foreigners seeking economical, high-quality spine care in recent years. The medical facilities at spine surgery hospitals in India are comparable to those at any other reputable hospital anywhere in the world, including affluent nations like the US and the UK.
The utilisation of cutting-edge technology, skilled medical professionals, English-speaking staff, and five-star hospitals with all the facilities are some of the factors that influence medical tourists’ decision to go to India for spine surgery.
- If you’re considering undergoing any of the four common spinal surgeries, such as Discectomy, Lumbar Fusion, Lumbar Interbody Fusion (Posterior), or Nucleoplasty, you might be wondering how much it’ll cost. The table above shows the average cost of these procedures in four different countries, including India, US, UK, and Thailand.
- If you decide to undergo any of these surgeries in India, you can expect to pay significantly less than in the other countries. For instance, a Discectomy procedure in India costs around $5500, which is almost one-third of what you would pay in the United States or the United Kingdom. Similarly, other procedures such as Lumbar Interbody Fusion (Posterior) and Nucleoplasty also cost significantly less in India.
- On the other hand, if you opt for the United States or the United Kingdom, be prepared to pay a higher price for these surgeries. For example, Lumbar Fusion in the US costs approximately $62,000, which is the highest among the four countries listed above. Likewise, the cost of Lumbar Fusion in the United Kingdom is around $65,000, which is also significantly more expensive than the other countries.
- If you’re looking for an alternative to the United States or the United Kingdom, you might want to consider Thailand. While it’s not as cheap as India, the cost of these procedures is still considerably lower than in the United States or the United Kingdom. For instance, a Nucleoplasty procedure in Thailand costs around $10,000, which is much cheaper than in the US or the UK.
In conclusion, if you’re considering any of these spinal surgeries, it’s crucial to compare the costs in different countries to make an informed decision. The cost of these procedures varies significantly depending on the country you choose, so take the time to research and choose the best option that fits your budget and needs.